More build oddities

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Apr 7 12:15:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 07:09 -0400, Alan Cudmore wrote:
> What version of OS X are you using?
>
> Is it a Power PC or Intel Mac?
This should not matter.

> What version of autoconf and automake?
>
> $ which autoconf
> $ autoconf --version
> $ which automake
> $ automake --version
> I end up installing the autoconf and automake distributed with RTEMS
> and installing them with my cross compiler.
The versions we ship are the vanilla GNU versions. I.e. in cases an OS
vendor ships sufficiently recent versions (such as on Fedora >= 8 or
SuSE >= 10.3) there isn't any need to use them.

Also, some vendors (in particular Cygwin and some flavors of Debain)
ship so called autotools-wrappers which try to invoke particular
versions of the autotools based examining configure stripts on certain
heuristics - All these wrappers fail sometimes, somewhere (which
occasionally leads to bizarre issues), because all these heuristics are
broken and void.

> One thing that stands out to me is the PATH:
> I may be mistaken, but will the '~' characters corrupt the path?
Almost for sure.

Another point: The auto*tools require a POSIX-compliant shell and try to
guess upon which POSIX-compliant shells might be installed on a system.
Here, the OP mentions to be using tcsh (a non-POSIX compliant)
shell, ... leaves room for issues circulating around $SHELL,
$CONFIG_SHELL and broken environments.

Checking config.log should be telling what is going on.

Ralf