ZigBee

Paul Evans paule at martexdesign.com
Fri Apr 11 17:27:30 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 09:10 +0200, erki.szabolcs at itport.hu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm sorry, if this is a discussed topic, but I'm new here and didn't find
>> anything in RTEMS documentations. I decided to use RTEMS for our embedded
>> system and an important part of this hardware is a ZigBee chip so I will
>> need a ZigBee protocoll stack. Is there any plan or demand to add ZigBee
>> stack to RTEMS?
>>
> None in the public code and no plans that I am aware about.
>
> Contributions, welcome ;)

The last time I looked at Zigbee it looked expensive to do, hopefully
I'm out of date and this has all changed:

I think the Microchip Zigbee stack is the only "free" one out there in
terms of code. It's license is not an open one in fact it's got a use
with Microchip Products or else clause. So you'd want to stay clear of
it. It probably wasn't that useful anyway, especially if there's any pic
assembler in it. (If you are using a Microchip transceiver even with an
different micro-- it's a good as good of as anything else to port to
your platform/BSP for your own commercial use.)

The standard itself isn't free either unless you're using it for
"non-commercial" uses. I honestly don't know if contributing to an open
source project and then using the results would be a commercial use.

I'm not sure what the "Control4" company that linuxdevices.com finds
uses but I suspect it's probably a commercial one. (I think a lot of
early adopters may tend to use complete modules not chips as the analog
stuff can be challenging-- which could be why there's not much code out
there) It's the only other open source reference to Zigbee I see..

Best,

    -Paul