Bootstrap script

Nigel Spon nigel at adi.co.nz
Mon Apr 14 05:38:45 UTC 2008

On 14/04/2008, at 4:27 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>  What does MacOSX's "man find" say?

The synopsis specifies:

  find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f pathname] pathname ... expression
  find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] -f pathname [pathname ...] expression

It then remarks in the Bugs section that:

      As there is no delimiter separating options and file names or
file names
      and the expression, it is difficult to specify files named -xdev
or !.
      These problems are handled by the -f option and the getopt(3)
``--'' construct.
      struct.

It looks as though pathname just isn't optional.

I notice that all the uses of find in the bootstrap script under the
'clean' heading have already been adapted to this form; perhaps
someone else has already encountered this.

> * Which "find" is it?
>
> [Please check the output of:
> which find
> type -p find
> find --version
> ]

Its in /usr/bin/find, it doesn't accept --version

> * Which shell are you using?

tcsh

> * Do you have white spaces or special characters in $PATH, cwd,
> or $HOME?

No - since the discovery that tilde is a second-class citizen I have
been trying to avoid that. Unless you are about to tell me that
underscore is thought of in the same way...

> * Do you have any POSIX_* compatibility or similar environment
> variables
> set?

Not that I know of. What should I look for?

> * Which version of MacOS X is it?

10.5.2

---
" I was taken out into a pleasant exercise yard and offered a cigarette.
After a few moments I perceived a line of gentlemen with rifles. They
were
looking in my direction. I looked around, but I could not see the
target."

Michael Hamel
ADInstruments Ltd, Dunedin, NZ