Diagnosing build errors

Nigel Spon nigel at adi.co.nz
Tue Apr 15 02:59:13 UTC 2008

I am now building the toolchain and RTEMS 4.8 successfully (I think)
from Xcode under MacOS 10.5, which is nice because it gives me an IDE
and I don't have to use the command line anymore. However, one
component of the system has proved resistant to this treatment.

The gdb 6.6 build fails at the final 'make install' stage. The last
few lines of the log say:

make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
/bin/sh /Users/frederickspon/Documents/RTEMSX_4.8/RTEMS_Xcode/../tools/
gdb-6.6/sim/ppc/../../mkinstalldirs /Users/frederickspon/Documents/
RTEMSX_4.8/RTEMS_Xcode/Obj/bin
n=`echo run | sed 's,^,powerpc-rtems4.8-,;'`; \
	/usr/bin/install -c run /Users/frederickspon/Documents/RTEMSX_4.8/
RTEMS_Xcode/Obj/bin/$n
install: run: No such file or directory

I'm guessing that a substitution has failed, possibly because OSX is
doing something slightly different c.f my messages earlier today about
the 'find' command. The make is being done under the bash shell, *not*
tcsh. I'm not sure where to look next to figure out what happened
here. Its rather annoying to have it get so close to completing and
then fail; I presume it was about to copy the results into the /bin
directory.

---
"No point in mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will
see them soon enough."

Michael Hamel
ADInstruments Ltd, Dunedin, NZ