configure command line in installed directories?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Apr 16 15:17:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:58 -0400, Kate Feng wrote:
> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>
> >Ralf's argument notwithstanding, I agree with Thomas and Joel on this
> >one.
> >
> Yes, the minimum is to have configure command line in installed
> directory (e.g. config.log).
You may want to ask upstream automake to implement this, if you consider
this useful. I consider this proposal to be utterly silly.

> The configure command lines definitely should be logged.
>
> Additionally, it would be wonderful to have a log file generated
> automatically to keep track of history of all the configure command
> lines for
>
> 1) The name and version of the package
> 2) command lines
> 3) time and date
>
> This log file could be generated at the same directory as
> where -prefix=directory specifies or two level up from where
> the package is built.  Thus, if the build directory is gone,
> one have a history of the RTEMS configuration.
Ask your system admin to do, if you think it's useful.

None of the 10000's of auto*tools based packages on this planet does so
and no distribution of any OS on this planet does so.

You next step will be requesting to install ChangeLogs, I suppose?
That's what almost all distributions on this planet do - As part of
their packaging process.

Ralf