What is "no" application? nm?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Apr 1 07:59:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 10:53 +0300, Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 בApril 2008, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > About the "no" application: With a probability of 90% this is the result
> > of autoconf not finding a program which it thinks is not required. In
> > that case, the program name may end up being the result from
> >
> > checking for nm ... no
> >
> > You might want to check your config.log and config.status files.
> Thanks, Torsten.
>
> Although I am very weak in all these autotools,
This has nothing to do with the autotools.

They only are the messenger of something being wrong with your setup.

>  your assumption sounds very
> promising.

OK, let's bring this fruitless discussion to an end:

run
rpm -qa 'rtems-4.8-*powerpc*'

echo $PATH

and show us the results.

> I went to the build directory and searched for different combination of this
> phrase - nothing! Even search for " nm" (space and 'nm') gave no result,
> which seems to me very strange.
The magic is in c/src/make/configure

# grep NM c/src/make/configure
if test "${ac_cv_prog_NM+set}" = set; then
  if test -n "$NM"; then
  ac_cv_prog_NM="$NM" # Let the user override the test.
    ac_cv_prog_NM="${rtems_tool_prefix}nm"
  test -z "$ac_cv_prog_NM" && ac_cv_prog_NM=":"
NM=$ac_cv_prog_NM
if test -n "$NM"; then
  { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: $NM" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}$NM" >&6; }
NM!$NM$ac_delim

Ralf