configure command line in installed directories?

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Wed Apr 16 16:49:10 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:58 -0400, Kate Feng wrote:
> > Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > >Ralf's argument notwithstanding, I agree with Thomas and Joel on this
> > >one.
> > >
> > Yes, the minimum is to have configure command line in installed
> > directory (e.g. config.log).
> You may want to ask upstream automake to implement this, if you consider
> this useful. I consider this proposal to be utterly silly.

Perhaps, I did not follow through all the E-mail  you sent on the thread.
However, currently  config.log file already logged configure command line.
Thus, it is not a proposal. I thought you tried to delete that command line

from config.log.

> > The configure command lines definitely should be logged.
> >
> > Additionally, it would be wonderful to have a log file generated
> > automatically to keep track of history of all the configure command
> > lines for
> >
> > 1) The name and version of the package
> > 2) command lines
> > 3) time and date
> >
> > This log file could be generated at the same directory as
> > where -prefix=directory specifies or two level up from where
> > the package is built.  Thus, if the build directory is gone,
> > one have a history of the RTEMS configuration.
> Ask your system admin to do, if you think it's useful.
>
> None of the 10000's of auto*tools based packages on this planet does so
> and no distribution of any OS on this planet does so.
>
> You next step will be requesting to install ChangeLogs, I suppose?
> That's what almost all distributions on this planet do - As part of
> their packaging process.

It was just some thought.  Not a big deal.  I can live without it.
Actually, I think I made a mistake to make suggetions.

Bye,
Kate