configure command line in installed directories?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Thu Apr 17 06:37:32 UTC 2008

Ralf and others,

I have been silent in this thread for two days, because I really had to
calm down. I think I am calm enough to answer again ;-)

Ralf Corsepius schrieb:
>> Or by shipping RPMs, which include their dependencies AND the
>> information how they have been built/how they can be rebuilt (even when
>> they do NOT contain the sources).
> Correct. RPMS are a form of *packaging*.
>
> Packaging is something completely different than configuration and is
> something completely different than "system-integration".
>
> Could it be you are mixing up, system-integration, packaging and
> configuration?

Yes, I definitively did. But I think that when using RTEMS you will
almost always have these three steps intermixed. AFAIK the things
Gaisler is doing are more or less unique. They ship a selected and
properly configured version of RTEMS matching their customers needs. And
if I have problems with their distro, I can call them.

But from my understanding there are very few properly
integrated/configured/packaged distros of RTEMS right now (although this
may be the goal for the future).

Currently, most projects using RTEMS have to start working from the
source code package, and at least in 20% of the projects I asume that
configuring RTEMS, installing it and checking it with the application is
an incremental process.

In your responses you mentioned somewhere, that configuring RTEMS
properly is the job of the system integrator. I agree (and that is
exactly the model I assumed). But:
- What if he did a poor job.
- What if he did not document properly what he did?
- What if he is ill or on holidays?
- Or fired (because he did a poor job)?
- Or he simply did not (yet) realize that it would be a good idea to
store the configuration?
- Or just did a quick tryout of a certain configuration which works
surprisingly well an after a week he has no idea which of the ten tries
was the right one?

I only see few harms in my recommendation:
- we will consume about 1KByte more space in the installed directory
- we have to generate/store/install the information somehow.

Thomas.

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
Tel. : +49-89-18 90 80 79-2
Fax  : +49-89-18 90 80 79-9
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de