rtems tools for OS X on macports

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Apr 25 02:41:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 12:28 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 09:23 -0400, Alan Cudmore wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed that there are RTEMS cross toolchain "portfiles" on the
> >> macports project for OS X. ( http://www.macports.org )
> >>
> >> It looks like they target the pre 4.8 toolchains.
> >>
> >> This looks like a good route to go for OS X tools, to just maintain
> >> these ports and create new ones for the 4.8 and 4.9 tools.
> >>
> > Sounds like a viable route to go, to me.
> >

> Are these ports somehow related to the BSD ports collections?
I am inclined to think so, ... they resemble very much to what BSD had
(has?) in the past.

> >> Is anyone on this list involved with maintaining these portfiles?
> >>
> > No. All I can say about these packages, is them to look quite outdated,
> > bugged in detail and out of sync with our sources :/
> >
> If they are pre-4.8, then they are definitely out of date.
>
> I don't know much about the ports collection in details
Neither do I ...
> but it seems reasonable that they could be "templated"
> and instantiated similar to how the RPM specs are
> done now.

I found one can browse through what I presume to be their
build-instructions (corresponding to rpm.specs) by entering
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=rtems
and clicking onto the packages' names.

> Then at least a good faith effort could be made to
> keep them up to date even if they don't get tested
> as often as the RPM specifications.
>
> Does this make sense at all?
Definitely - It would need somebody to implement/build/test them.
I would offer to give this person a helping hand, ...

Ralf