rtems-debug triggers build failure

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sat Apr 26 03:41:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:21 -0600, Daron Chabot wrote:

> Ralf: I used yum today (1st. time!) to install a rtems-4.9 toolchain on
> a Scientific Linux box. Very cool... Just one question though:
>
> When running bootstrap on the RTEMS source, why do I see lots of
> messages like:
>
> chabotd at opi2043-001-->pwd
> /home/chabotd/RTEMS/rtems-4.9
> chabotd at opi2043-001-->time ./bootstrap
> ./doc
> /usr/share/aclocal/xml-i18n-tools.m4:27: the serial number must appear
> before any macro definition
> /usr/share/aclocal/libgcrypt.m4:23: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT
> /usr/share/aclocal/libgcrypt.m4:23:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
> /usr/share/aclocal/libgcrypt.m4:23:   or see
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal

These are minor coding bugs inside of these /usr/share/aclocal/*.m4
files, modern autotools diagnose and warn about (for several years).
The link above contains detailed information about these warnings.

You should inform your distro's upstream and have these fixed. These are
indications of using outdated/badly maintained packages or distro.

> configure.ac:9: installing `../install-sh'
> configure.ac:9: installing `../missing'
> ada_user/Makefile.am:48: installing `../mdate-sh'
These are informational notices of normal operation.

> I'm fairly certain I didn't see any of those "libgcrypt" or "xml*.m4"
> messages when running bootstrap on my laptop (mac).
Likely you don't have the packages causing these warnings installed on
your mac.

> Not a big deal (or maybe it is ??)... just curious.
In most cases, these warnings are harmless, ... in rare cases these are
less harmless.

Ralf