Proposed ARM Tool Change After 4.9

xu ray rayx.cn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:50:53 UTC 2008

I think it might be a good news that the eabi have thumb-2 feature (So that
we do not need to maintain a seperate thumb-2 toolchain in future)

Though it sounds like has no big impact on our ARM bsp, but it would still
be good to keep both arm-elf and arm-eabi at first in case eabi has some
defect/incompatible.

2008/8/7 Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com>

> Hi,
>
> After posting my first gcc test results for
> arm-rtems, I got feedback which indicates
> that arm-eabi is the preferred arm embedded
> target (not arm-elf).
>
> arm-rtems is based upon arm-elf.  I propose
> we switch to being based upon arm-eabi for 4.10.
>
> Attached are Paul Brook's comments on the
> impact of the change.
>
> Comments, thoughts, etc?
>
> --
> joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com        On-Line Applications Research
>  Support Available             (256) 722-9985
>

> > We chose arm-elf as the starting point years.  If we need to
> > move to arm-eabi as the starting point that is OK.  We usually
> > just chose the CPU-coff or CPU-elf as a starting point
> > for CPU-rtems.
>
> I highly recommend switching to the EABI.
>
> If you want to support recent (Thumb-2) CPUs I'd expect that you pretty
> much
> have to use an EABI based target.
>
> > What is the difference and how will it impact code?  I am
> > worried about our assembly code.
>
> The main visible change is that that you must preserve 8-byte stack
> alignment
> at public entry points.
>
> > Is there a standard conditional to know the difference if
> > it matters?
>
> __ARM_EABI__
>
> Paul

Thanks & Best Regards!