disable newlib

Mon Aug 18 14:37:32 UTC 2008

xu ray wrote:
> You can disable it with patch YanMiao is working on.
I don't see how you can disable the entire newlib library without
special tool builds.

You can dynamically configure where the per-task reentrancy support is
disabled.  That saves a fair amount of memory.
> But after doing this, lots of API (e.g. Posix ) and (most) C library
> can not be used.

If you build without newlib at all, this is true.  The .h files from
RTEMS and
newlib are intertwined for the C library and POSIX threading.
> You can use this for small footprint MCU/CPU that has limited RAM on chip.

You can also just not call the services and not get code pulled in.

I will reserve judgment until I see the patch.  I tend to believe that you
can build everything and just not call it in your application.  If there are
pieces of RTEMS that are required that start to pull this in, then there is
a dependency issue.

95% of the time breaking dependencies is sufficient.  Special conditional
builds are seldom required.

--joel