SPI low level driver for Virtex

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 1 21:41:36 UTC 2008

Hi Thomas,

How have you been?  Hope all is well, and the New Year hasn't lost all
of its glow - yet!

It's finally about time I get going on the SPI driver for the Virtex4.
I've poked around a little bit, and I think I have a rough idea of what
needs to be done.  Here is my understanding.

Low-level Driver - This belongs in the BSP.  It seems you've implemented
one in rtems/c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/gen83xx/spi recently.  I assume a
good strategy for me is to copy that and customize it for the V4 - is
that right?

High-level Driver - It looks to me that the possibility of using a chip
select (CS) to frame an multi-byte "transaction" (as is required for
some devices, such as Ramtron FRAM devices) is not implemented.  Is that
true?

Usage.  Okay, here's my inexperience really shining clear!  How do I
actually use this in an application?  Do you have, or can you point me
towards, an example?

Thanks, and take care,
-Bob