Support for PowerPC e200 cores

Fri Feb 15 14:48:03 UTC 2008

Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hi,
> we want to develop a BSP for a MPC5566 evaluation board. It uses a e200
> processor core. My first job is to get the basic tools ready. I am quite
> new in
> this business, so please have mercy with me if I ask to many clumsy
> questions ;-)
>
> According to the "Freescale PowerPC Architecture Primer" (page 12) the e200
> core is code-compatible with an e500 core. The e500 core is supported by
> gcc.
> You need to configure the binutils and gcc with the
> "--target=powerpc-elf --with-cpu=8540"
> options. I have not yet tested this with the standard sources.
>
> I want to build the RTEMS 4.8 RPMs for an openSuSE 10.3 host so that they
> support this cpu type. I haven't figured out how to do it with some wiki
> research. Can someone give me any hints where to start?

Use the RPMs.  I repeat use the RPMs.  There is normally
no reason to generate a custom compiler.  And this case
is certainly NOT an exception that rule.  The current
powerpc-rtems4.9-gcc includes this in its specs:

 %{mcpu=8540: -me500}

So the tools should be OK.

Read this and get a better feel for where this CPU core
fits into the general PowerPC family.

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/white_paper/POWRPCARCPRMRM.pdf

You should discuss how this CPU fits into the picture with Thomas.
It looks like an upgraded/renamed mpc5xx and thus there is likely
existing code in RTEMS to be leveraged.

FWIW that PDF is the best guide to the PowerPC family I have
seen.  The PowerPC family is confusing at best.

--joel