Support for PowerPC e200 cores

Fri Feb 15 15:08:52 UTC 2008

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Joel Sherrill schrieb:
>
>> Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Use the RPMs.  I repeat use the RPMs.  There is normally
>> no reason to generate a custom compiler.  And this case
>> is certainly NOT an exception that rule.  The current
>> powerpc-rtems4.9-gcc includes this in its specs:
>>
>>  %{mcpu=8540: -me500}
>>
>> So the tools should be OK.
>>

> you should put the blame on me, I have urged Sebastian to go this way.
> We really forgot the check the current 4.9 toolchain, so if it already
> supports e500, we should be a big step ahead :-)

I double checked the  4.7 and 4.8 tools and all have this
as a CPU flag so the support isn't new at all.  Which is
good for tool stability issues.
>> Read this and get a better feel for where this CPU core
>> fits into the general PowerPC family.
>>
>> http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/white_paper/POWRPCARCPRMRM.pdf
>>
>> You should discuss how this CPU fits into the picture with Thomas.
>> It looks like an upgraded/renamed mpc5xx and thus there is likely
>> existing code in RTEMS to be leveraged.
>>

> No. not really. really no. no.

If not from the mpc5xx family, is there any reuse?
> The MPC55xx family targets the same chip market (automotive) but has
> been GREATLY improved compared the MPC5xx family. It is like the
> difference between a MC68360 and a MPC8260.

It can't be that different -- it is still a PowerPC but I do
get the drift.
> The core is Book E (and quite similar to e500), but has no FPU. So there
> ARE differences and we will check, how we can best deal with them.

OK.  I trust you won't be duplicating code.  I know you hate
to do that and this is yet another opportunity to clean up
as you add.
> By the wax: guess who might be interested in this BSP :-)

Besides me? :-D  Hmmmm...

Any chance of getting some of these Freescale PowerPC
boards donated to the RTEMS lab?

--joel