Support for PowerPC e200 cores

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 15 16:33:41 UTC 2008

FWIW, I strongly recommend to abandon the current
PPC multilib mess. The e500 core is at the UISA-level
still powerpc compatible and that's all gcc cares about.

The mvme3100 BSP I recently added uses an 8540 CPU
and the compiler flags

-mcpu=powerpc -mno-float

which work just fine. I am convinced that we could drastically
reduce the PPC multilib variants.

A new multilib-variant would only be needed if the 8450's
single-precision float APU were to be used.

Currently, the main reason for the many variants is that
rtems' gcc specs map the -mcpu=xxx flags to a corresponding
-DXXX which is tested in rtems libcpu and libbsp code.

However, this can also be achieved by the BSP's
custom/<bsp>.cfg fragment adding -DXXX.  It would even
be better to eliminate this kind of conditional compilation.

-- Till