Can't Build New Device Driver

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 29 16:37:51 UTC 2008

Hi all,

How does one develop a new device driver for RTEMS?

I am trying to develop the low-level driver for SPI support on the
powerpc/virtex BSP, to support the new libi2c developments Thomas has
been doing.  I'm starting with the RTEMS-4.8.0 release, and trying to
add the new stuff necessary.  With Thomas' help, I've kind of determined
the code I need to write, but I can't seem to get the
automake/configure/bootstrap stuff to work.

I started by configuring, building, installing, and testing rtems-4.8.0,
using the usual procedure.  Then, I copied and modified the source code
from Thomas' SPI driver in libbsp/powerpc/gen83xx.  Now I am trying to
build it.  I've tried to modify the virtex/Makefile.am file, but I'm not
sure what to do next.  I tried the following:

1. From source tree, in libbsp/powerpc/virtex, I ran bootstrap, like this

   ../../../../../../bootstrap

2. Then, from the build directory, I configured with this command:

   ../rtems-4.8.0/configure --enable-rtems-debug --target=powerpc-rtems \
   --enable-posix --prefix=/usr/rtems/4.8 --enable-networking --enable-cxx \
   --enable-rtemsbsp="virtex" --enable-maintainer-mode

3. Now, I try to build it, but it breaks.  Here is the relevant (I
think) output from make:

make[7]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/c/Home/ll/etill/rtems/rtems-4.8.0/tools/b-rtems/powerpc-rtems/c/virtex/lib/libbsp
/powerpc'
Making preinstall in virtex
make[8]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/c/Home/ll/etill/rtems/rtems-4.8.0/tools/b-rtems/powerpc-rtems/c/virtex/lib/libbsp
/powerpc/virtex'
make[8]: *** No rule to make target `preinstall'.  Stop.
make[8]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/Home/ll/etill/rtems/rtems-4.8.0/tools/b-rtems/powerpc-rtems/c/virtex/lib/libbsp/
powerpc/virtex'
make[7]: *** [preinstall-recursive] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/Home/ll/etill/rtems/rtems-4.8.0/tools/b-rtems/powerpc-rtems/c/virtex/lib/libbsp/
powerpc'

I don't have any idea what the error message means, other than the
obvious!  Attached are my Makefile.am and the generated Makefile.in for
your reference.

Thanks,
-Bob