Support for PowerPC e200 cores

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 15 14:57:57 UTC 2008

Joel,

Joel Sherrill schrieb:
> Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Use the RPMs.  I repeat use the RPMs.  There is normally
> no reason to generate a custom compiler.  And this case
> is certainly NOT an exception that rule.  The current
> powerpc-rtems4.9-gcc includes this in its specs:
>
>  %{mcpu=8540: -me500}
>
> So the tools should be OK.

you should put the blame on me, I have urged Sebastian to go this way.
We really forgot the check the current 4.9 toolchain, so if it already
supports e500, we should be a big step ahead :-)

> Read this and get a better feel for where this CPU core
> fits into the general PowerPC family.
>
> http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/white_paper/POWRPCARCPRMRM.pdf
>
> You should discuss how this CPU fits into the picture with Thomas.
> It looks like an upgraded/renamed mpc5xx and thus there is likely
> existing code in RTEMS to be leveraged.

No. not really. really no. no.

The MPC55xx family targets the same chip market (automotive) but has
been GREATLY improved compared the MPC5xx family. It is like the
difference between a MC68360 and a MPC8260.

The core is Book E (and quite similar to e500), but has no FPU. So there
ARE differences and we will check, how we can best deal with them.

By the wax: guess who might be interested in this BSP :-)

wkr,
Thomas.