Sample RTEMS kernel image

Thu Feb 28 21:38:10 UTC 2008

Ray wrote:
> Hi, Vinod Kulkarni
>
> RTEMS is an executable. By default, after compiling and linking, you will get a elf .exe file, hello.exe for example.
> Normally, you will need a boot loader that can read elf file; load the .text code into RAM and jump to the start address.
> There is a howto about making a booting image in: http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/QEMU  (you will find it is fun to run rtems in a simulator). This page is very informtive.
> And you can found a ready to run image in: http://www.rtems.com/ftp/pub/rtems/current_contrib/pc386_grub_image/

FWIW that image uses an old version of grub.  I tried to build
a new floppy image a couple of weeks ago but had no luck.  All
I succeeded in doing was making my laptop unbootable until
I pulled out the Fedora Disk and booted into rescue mode.

I would really appreciate it if someone could update that image.
I really would like to know what went wrong with my attempts. :(

The newer grub versions support a splash screen image and I
wanted to use the feature for the Pinewood Derby Race Timer
software I was writing for our Cub Scout pack. :)

--joel