Can't Build New Device Driver

Angelo Fraietta newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au
Fri Feb 29 23:33:19 UTC 2008

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How does one develop a new device driver for RTEMS?
>
> I am trying to develop the low-level driver for SPI support on the
> powerpc/virtex BSP, to support the new libi2c developments Thomas has
> been doing.  I'm starting with the RTEMS-4.8.0 release, and trying to
> add the new stuff necessary.  With Thomas' help, I've kind of determined
> the code I need to write, but I can't seem to get the
> automake/configure/bootstrap stuff to work.

It seems there are really two issues.
1 - Developing the Device Driver
2 - Including it in the main RTEMS tree so it will build when you build
RTEMS

If it is the former, I would not worry about including in the RTEMS tree
until you have it working. Just develop the device driver separately and
link it with your app. This way you don't need to worry about bootstrap,
automake, and the likes. Once you have the device driver working, then
you can work at including it in the RTEMS tree.

If it is the later, i.e. you have a working device driver that you want
to add the the RTEMS tree, I can't offer anything - sorry.

--
Dr Angelo Fraietta
A.Eng, A.Mus.A, BA(Hons), Ph.D.

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303

Home Page

http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
CURIOSITY
     Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153)