Poor network connection causes lockup with V4.6.0pre5

Fri Jul 4 16:59:01 UTC 2008

Are you possibly in a deadlock waiting for mbufs?  The default
buffer sizes that sockets have is surprisingly high.  I made the
default maximum buffer sizes configurable for 4.9.  I did this
for a user who got into this deadlock situation.  It turned out that it
took 1.5MB of buffers for their few sockets.  I am recalling that
by default a TCP socket can hold 256K of buffers  and a UDP
socket can hold up to 400K buffers.  Combine that with a
few in use by the NIC driver and that is enough to exhaust
most configurations.  You can use SO_SNDBUF/SO_RCVBUF to
tune this down or look at what I did on the head.  The multiplier
of 8 on the single buffer size was horribly excessive in my
experiments and you could save a lot of memory over the
defaults and not impact performance.

Here is the info from the release notes.  I think the network
driver manual online from CVS has a good write up.