Tapping into an interface

Bruno Melâneo bruno.melaneo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:56:07 UTC 2008

Hi there!!
I'm trying to implement a communication protocol over Ethernet that I will,
later, simulate using qEmu and the ne2k network card's driver.
On this protocol witch I need to access and control each and every byte
(both headers and payload) in any given packet received/sent by the network
card previously mentioned, from an "application level".

By reading RTEMS Network Supplement, I've already found a way to do this in
terms of reception, using the socket ioctl "SIOCSIFTAP" and creating a
function that handles the packets the way I want.

Now, my only problem is that I can't find a way to do the same, thing in
terms of  transmission, because "SIOCSIFTAP" only allows us to access
incoming packets (reception) before they are passed up to the higher
networking layers.

Accessing and changing packets headers before they are sent is the key point
of this protocol and the only problem left to solve.

I would be grateful if someone could point me the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Best regard.