RFC : Heap management using TLSF

Tue Jul 29 13:25:29 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
>> Before I approach the TLSF author about releasing under a compatible
>> license (eg the RTEMS GPL + exception), I'd be interested in any
>> technical objections/comments regarding the inclusion of TLSF...
>>

> I'm keen to contact the author of TLSF to see if relicensing under the
> RTEMS GPL+exception is a possibility.
>
> If you've already contacted the TLSF author about this, now would be a
> good time to tell me before I charge in :)

I haven't but you can always start by saying you don't know
where the last discussions ended.

I would like to make sure I understand why this algorithm
is better.  And we definitely want to ensure that we have
the same type of statistics and error checking information
available in TLSF.  It would also be great to be able to walk the heap
and get other information via the RTEMS gdb macros.

With any luck, the limited way the heap API is easy enough to just
replace with another implementation.

The only other gotcha in this is that the Classic API Region
and ITRON API memory pools use the heap so we have to
be sure we get the published features on those.

Basically you are looking to replace code that has already
been overhauled once in the life of RTEMS but we have
a fair amount of aids and APIs built around it, so we don't
want to lose any capabilities.