PowerPC exceptions and critical interrupts

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jun 10 09:48:04 UTC 2008

Till Straumann wrote:
> My idea was committing one of the SPRGs to holding the IRQ mask.
> Currently, the TOS pointer of the interrupt stack is held in SPRG1
> (for no really good reason). Using e.g., SPRG0 (the current purpose:
> making sure that SPRG0 is not used for the IRQ_Nest_level (see PR288)
> is probably obsolete by now).

If we use SPRG0 we can reuse PPC_BSP_HAS_FIXED_PR288 as a quick and
dirty approach to adapt the PowerPC BSPs to new rtems_interrupt_{enable,
disable} functions.
> The only caveat is that I'm not sure if every flavor of PPC features
> SPRG0/SPRG1 but I suspect the ones we currently support do since
> SPRG1 is used anyways.

The SPRG0..3 are mentioned in the PowerPC Microprocessor Family: The
Programming Environments for 32-Bit Microprocessors for operating system
usage.
> You don't need a run-time check orgie - the bspsupport already
> has done it. The variable 'ppc_exc_msr_irq_mask' should hold the
> correct value.

Yes, but this is yet another magic place that the BSP developer has to
be aware of.

Here are some constrains that I assume:
 C1: Three asynchronous exception types ME, CE and EE with priorities ME
 > CE > EE. (Debug exceptions DE?)
 C2: The exception handler code must not be interrupted by a lower
priority exception (mostly due to the thread dispatch disable level).
 C3: To support RTEMS functions and the dispatcher the critical sections
in the system core must be protected by rtems_interrupt_{enable,
disable}. Thus if we want to use RTEMS within machine check exceptions
we have to add MSR_ME to the disable mask. This may result in check
stops. This is an inacceptable tradeoff.
 C4: The asynchronous high level handler share a common stack.

The user of critical interrupts has to be very careful not to enable
external exceptions since a

uint32_t level = _ISR_Get_level();
_ISR_Set_level( 0);
_ISR_Set_level( level);

will not work.

The ppc_exc_msr_irq_mask is currently used to protect the stack switch
and ISR nest level. Machine checks are not included in the disable mask
(MSR_ME) that is an inconsistency the current implementation for C4.
After a review of the code I think that if C2 is true the disabling of
all asynchronous exceptions is superfluous. A stack switch would be
problematic only if we increment the ISR nest level and perform the
stack switch afterwards, because a higher priority exception may assume
that a stack switch is not necessary but actually has not occured.

The RTEMS support for critical interrupts has its obstacles but is
feasible. For machine checks I am against to add it due to the check
stop problematic.