Nintendo DS BSP

Fri Mar 14 14:40:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

Matthieu Bucchianeri has submitted a BSP for the Nintendo DS.  It
supports all features of the DS including WiFi, touch screen, etc.
He has Microwindows/NanoX running on it. There is a simulator for
this BSP and he has automated running tests on it.  Until
it is all merged, I have placed it at:

ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/current_contrib/nds-bsp

Matthieu has addressed all my initial issues with the BSP and I
would like to merge the BSP as soon as possible. Unfortunately,
there is one issue I don't know how to deal with.

The question for the community is how to deal with the issue
that this BSP is dependent on an external free software
library. This is a first.  The license of the library isn't
an issue.

I see only a few options and don't know which is best:

+ Integrate it into the BSP -- I don't like this.  The library
  is another open source project and has about 200 files in it.

+ Add some configure logic to the nds/configure.ac and make
  it completely the user's responsibility to install it.  I
  don't like this because it makes the BSP harder to deal with
  than necessary and introduces the possibility of version
  mismatch between the library and the BSP.

+ Offer this library as a pre-built RPM.  This is the cleanest
  solution for GNU/Linux users and is in keeping with the existing
  infrastructure.  It treats it as a 3rd party package that we
  provide pre-compiled and version synchronization is under our
  control.

The library is part of the GameBoy devKit available at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114505

I am open for suggestions.