MSYS tools installation crashes

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Mar 17 23:27:23 UTC 2008

Thomas Doerfler wrote:

> now I have to answer my own posting:
>
> We found a strange answer to our problem, googling for MSYS and shell
> crashes:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.mingw.msys/2007/msg00056.html
>
> Obviously the logitech webcam software installed and running on that
> machine influenced the behaviour of the MSYS environmnet.
>
> Killing the running process "lvprcsrv.exe" made the MSYS system run
> properly again.

Nice find. These sorts of problems can be difficult to resolve.

> Hm.
>
> I should have thought about it before. Should I ? Anybody has an idea
> what is the link between these two pieces of software?

No idea and I suspect no real way of figuring it out without a long and costly
process. There is always a risk this can happen when adding an emulation layer
to any system and MSYS (which is a fork of cygwin) is no different. I have
seen problems with PC Tools Spyware tools where certain scripts would result
in a crash. Disabling PC Tools did little, I had to uninstall it.

The fault may not lie in MSYS (or Cygwin) how-ever the finger is pointed at
them as they display the crash.

> Well, anyway, the system seems to run MUCH better now. And maybe this
> posting will avoid others to spend more time than neccesary to come
> around this trap.

Great. The actual tools should give you few issues like this as they are
Windows native executables.

Regards
Chris