sparc-rtems4.8-sis simulator not available on MSYS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Mar 18 23:34:59 UTC 2008

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> we are just proceeding with our SPARC session here and we are happpy to
>> have the SPARC toolchain up and running under MSYS.
>>
>> Unfortunately we found out that sparc-rtems4.8-gdb under MSYS does not
>> come with the SIS simulator :-(
>>
>> Is there a technical reason why it was excluded or could this be
>> reenabled? The same toolchain version under Linux (openSUSE 10.3) is
>> more complete.
>>

> All of the gdb simulators we have BSPs for use POSIX signals. Chris made
> an offer of resolving it a year or so ago but the
> discussion devolved into "we won't accept a small solution
> but want the thing fixed right."  But I don't recall anyone defining
> "right".

MinGW is just a way to build native Windows programs with the GCC compiler so
support for various signals is based on what Windows supports. This how-ever
has little to do with the issue as the simulator signals are simulated. My
patch and related thread is here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/gdb-patches/2006-09/threads.html#00062

Daniel's point is the source of signals in the simulators is mixed up and
confusing and the simulator signal numbers should not relate to the host
signals. My patch was a work around and the real solution is much more work
than I had time to do. It is not a lot of code rather one of those maintenance
job that moves across a number of files, hosts and targets.

> You don't have sis, pim, or jmr3904.  You do have qemu and skyeye
> as simulators available under mingw.  So there are some BSPs you
> can run there.
>
> As best I can tell, the maintenance is very light on all the simulators

I agree. Fixing the signals in a suitable manner only opens up more problems.
The PowerPC simulator is also broken. This simulator has some form of code
generation tool that runs on the host to create a C file of simulated
instructions that is built into the simulator. This all works for the standard
cases of native and cross gdb builds but fails on a Canadian cross. In the
Canadian cross the tool in question uses the configure generated MinGW host
config.h header file while building the tool for the Linux build host. As a
result the compile fails because headers on Linux do not match the MinGW ones.
The configure and Makefiles are broken.

Regards
Chris