student for gsoc2008

Reng Zeng alan at fiucssa.org
Fri Mar 21 05:01:21 UTC 2008

Hi Joel, Chris and all,

Other than this project, I also have some ideas as below, just what I could
think of while trying to understand this project, it may be wrong or
inappropriate for RTEMS,  anyway, your any comments would be highly
appreciated.

1.  For the log generated from run-time trace, the capture engine code only
has Thread_Control as input, if we had another parameter there, that could
make it possible for RTEMS application to add customized info into the log.
For example, if the run-time trace is used to trace the phone call usage, it
may be required to have user id info included into the log.

2. I guess, the run-time trace is mainly for debug purpose since it impact
the performance anyway, especially in case high traffic. Is there any
measurement available for specific characteristic? For example, user may be
interested to know average CPU utilization in the past 5 minutes, 30
minutes, and 24 hours.

3. As the possibility of high traffic, it may impact performance
significantly once run-time trace open with specific filter and trigger. I
observed that some information is "printf" for user. For example,
"rtems_telnetd() started with stacksize=", how about introducing log system
to have such useful information stored into file somewhere.

Thanks,
Alan