(cvs head) RTEMS makefiles broken

Fri Mar 21 13:01:58 UTC 2008

Till Straumann wrote:
> The (legacy) RTEMS makefile system seems to be broken on the cvs head.
>
>  - doesnt' work with multilibbed cpukit

Give me a configure command and I will try it.
>  - new definitions of 'make-exe' & friends in 'leaf.cfg' cannot be
>    overridden by make/custom/<bsp>.cfg because Makefile.inc
>    includes 'leaf.cfg' after $(RTEMS_CUSTOM)

Every example use of those Makefiles in CVS works with
every BSP.  Cases which did not build for every BSP before
this work was done now build and link.
>  - same applies for the DOWNEXT - all BSPs end up with '.ralf'

Yes that was the point.  We have wanted to move more to
autoconf/automake rules and this was a step.  There is
now a distinction between the linked program file
produced by the linking gcc step (.exe) and the program
you download to the target (.ralf).

Every BSP now uses the same

.ralf - RTEMS Application Loadable File.  It was our
nod to acknowledge Ralf.

You download .ralf's to the target and use .exe's with
gdb to get the symbols.

By making the linking rules common across all BSPs, this
opens the door for letting autoconf/make deal with it
easier.
> The last two problems could be fixed with the 'override' directive
> but I don't think that's a desirable solution.

That shouldn't be needed.  You need to download .ralf's.

--joel