Virtex SPI driver - slave select specification

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 21 22:10:20 UTC 2008

Hi Thomas,

After being taken off-topic for the past 10 days, I'm back to the SPI
driver.  For my hardware, the FRAM device is one of seven slave devices
on the SPI bus, and happens to be assigned SS6 (slave select).  How do I
communicate this to the SPI/I2C subsystem?

Here is the (relevant) output during test startup:

    bsp_register_spi
    virtex_spi_init called...
    virtex_spi_install_irq_handler
    Found /dev/spi.fram device
      name:  /dev/spi.fram
      major: 9
      minor: 8192

    Opening...
    open returned 4
    Okay, let's try to write...
      fram write
    bsp_spi_send_start_dummy
    virtex_spi_set_tfr_mode
    virtex_spi_char_mode
    bsp_spi_sel_addr: Selecting device 0, mask: FFFFFFFE

Of course, much of this is output from my code, but it isn't terribly
important.  My question revolves around the last line shown; the values
need to be 6 and FFFFFFBF.  How does the driver get this information?
Is it the minor number of the device (reported earlier as 8192)?

Thanks!
-Bob