BSP for 405EX

Fri Mar 28 14:35:23 UTC 2008

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> the 405 core is supported.
>
> Don't be confused: quite recently we dropped support for a"gen405" BSP,
> because it was still stuck to the "old exception model". Background: For
> some years, there were two methods to hook exception handlers and
> interrupt handlers to a PowerPC-based system. gen405 was one of the last
> BSPs that used the "old exception handling" scheme and was dropped some
> weeks ago.
>
> But: the "virtex" BSP is also based on a 405 CPU, and it works with the
> "new exception processing", so this BSP will be a better base for your work.
>
> The next step for you should really be to build a set of drivers,
> possibly in "c/src/lib/libcpu/powerpc/ppc405" and a BSP in
> "c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/haleakala" (or which name might ever be
> applicable).

That's the general plan.  Does anything look similar to
the virtex?

I would look at the old exceptions based gen405 BSP and
see what is useful to your 405EX.  You should find that it
is just a matter of updating that BSP to the CVS RTEMS
and the current exception model.  I would be very pleased
to bring it back. Thomas' old helas403 might also have code
of use although I think that is less likely.

We removed it because it was the only remnant of what
we call old exceptions and forced us to carry baggage.
Removing it has opened the door for a lot of cleanup.

--joel