debian package for RTEMS

Alain Schaefer alani at easc.ch
Sun Mar 30 21:15:41 UTC 2008

Hi Ralf  & Bimal,

The deadline is quickly approaching, but since I have worked with RTEMS
on Debian Systems quite a bit I'll throw in my two cents ......
Since Ralfs questions quite come to the point I'll just reply to them.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>
wrote:

> Hi Bimal,
>
> I think, I am the one to answer this - Please bare with me if I might be
> missing some information, but I have been AFK most of the time last week
> and have my rtems mail folder filled with dozens of unread mails ;)
>

> First of all, thanks for wanting to take a stab on this.
>
> So, let me ask a couple of questions wrt. proposal:
>
> 1. What do you want to package?
> The GNU-toolchains (binutils, newlib, gcc, gdb) or RTEMS itself?

RTEMS itself is the least usefull of them. In my opinion it only makes
sense,
to quickly run the demo applications in a  simulator. Altough you could
also create a RTEMS Source Package.

> 2. Which distributions do you want to address?
> Like with rpm-based distros, there exists a plethora of Debian'ish
> packaged distros, not only one.

I have built the RTEMS toolchain with pbuilder. With pbuilder it is
very, very easy to build for various different debian'ish systems.

> 3. Though I agree that deb packages would be convenient users of
> Debian'ishly packaged distros, I question the technical need to do so,
> because at least on original Debian distros it had been possible to use
> "alien" to import rpms. Doesn't this apply anymore?

Altough the idea of alien is brilliant, in my experience it rarely works
without hassle.
I have ended up building .deb for rtems-bfin because I was too stupid to
install
your (Ralfs) rpms with alien on my ubuntu system.

> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 15:31 +0530, bimal varghese wrote:
> > i am attaching my
> > proposal for creating a debian package for RTEMS
> > any suggestions for improvement and  correction of errors
> > in the proposals are accepted
>
> Comments interspersed:
>
> > Title
> > -----
> >
> >         Creating Debian package for  RTEMS
> >

> > Synopsis
> > --------
> >
> >         I will build a debian package for RTEMS with all dependencies
> > taken
> > care of. I will also write shell/Perl scripts which makes it possible
> > automate the package creation process.

> Our build-machines all are Fedora-i386 and Fedora-x86_64-based.
>
> Do you plan to add cross-distribution packaging (e.g. building Debian
> packages on Fedora or Debian/i386 on Ubuntu/x86_64)?

As mentioned before, Debian -> Ubuntu is quite easy but building
everything on a Fedora machine might be a bit more challenging.

> > Project Schedule
> > ----------------

> > July  28,2008: The complete integreted Debian package is generated and
> > tested on various systems.
> More details, please. What and which do you have in mind?

I would plan a more iterative approach. Start with one target architecture
test,
generate for the next target architecture. I would also suggest to create
not
one huge package but more smaller packages. Another very important point
is to reuse Ralfs patches for the GCC/RTEMS toolchain. He has put and still
puts
>>alot<< of work into them and it should absolutely be avoided that this
work has
to be duplicated.

just my two cents .....

alain