What is "no" application? nm?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Mar 31 20:25:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 20:06 +0300, Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Monday, 31 בMarch 2008, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Actually, I do use standard tools, just make links to them with the names
> > > without "4.8" in the same directory. This way I can use my projects
> > > without changing them with different versions.
> >
> > Hmm? I don't understand this step.
> >
> > You can install the standard toolchains in parallel, and switch between
> > version by using separate VPATH builds.
> >
> > e.g. I have
> > PATH=/opt/rtems-4.9/bin:/opt/rtems-4.8/bin:/opt/rtems-4.7/bin:$PATH
> >
> > and am building in a way similar to this:
> > when wanting to test for "rtems-version compatibility"
> >
> > mkdir build4.8
> > cd build4.8
> > /<sourcedir>/configure --target=powerpc-rtems4.8
> > make
> >
> > mkdir build4.9
> > cd build4.9
> > /<sourcedir>/configure --target=powerpc-rtems4.9
> > make
> >
> > when wanting to test for "rtems-version compatibility"
> Here I do not understand....
I was referring to building different versions of rtems with different
versions of toolchains, such as building rtems-4.9 with the
rtems-4.8-toolchain etc.

> May be we are speaking about different things?
I don't think so. You reported an issue with building the rtems-4.8
sources and mentioned your *-rtems toolchain to be symlinks to the
*-rtems4.9 tools.

To me, this is building rtems-4.8 with the rtems-4.9 toolchains.

> My case is that I need to compile the same application with different tools
> versions. Therefore, my KDevelop keeps project tools as powerpc-rtems-g++ and
> so on. And the necessary correspondence to rtems version I do by correcting
> the /opt/rtems/ link to /opt/rtems-4.8.0/ or, for example, /opt/rtems-4.7/.
>
> Is this way acceptable?
I am not using kdevelop - Last time I tried, kdevelop could not handle
cross-compilation :/

> > > Thanks again. Just, please, where to read about the differences to 4.8?
> >
> > Hmm, I am not aware about any such document.
> >
> > 4.8 is incompatible to 4.7 at so many places, I even can't remember what
> > all has changed.
> >
> > I one thing I recall, is the *.cfgs having undergone a major slimfest
> > (which is not unlikely to be the cause of your issue) and Joel's <rant>
> > Makefile freakments having further rotten, instead of finally having
> > been removed and abandoned</rant>
> I do not know, but except this nm-no issue everything seems to compile and
> link fine with my BSP, which I remake against the included into 4.8 version
> of mpc8260ads.
>
> > > I already see several while debugging (crashes on exception initializing,
> > > etc...)
> >
> > That's likely something completely different.
> Still, I see rather many changes in the basic libcpu code, BSP and some things
> do not work, although worked in 4.7.
>
> Still struggling with them, and if somebody needs my experience...
My advise: Dump kdevelop.

Ralf