PowerPC exceptions: various comments

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Fri Mar 14 07:06:25 UTC 2008

Hi Till,

wow, that's really..... ingenious!!

I agree completely, that the opcode in question should be uniquely used
only at that location. Writing r1 to a specific displacement relative to
r13 in a different situation would require, that:

- Somebody writes his own assembly code
- has r13 moved to a different location (somewhat violating the EABI)
- has at least critical interrupts enabled
- and stores the stack pointer relative to r13

So the chances are really VERY low.

An additional check could be, whether the EE was cleared (in CSRR1),
when the crtical interrupt was raised, but I think this does not really
give extra security.

So I agree that this solution is VERY fine.

About my ideas to place a fixed exception prolog table in ROM: We will
investigate further how such a concept might integrate best into the
current design and discuss it here again.

wkr,
Thomas.

Till Straumann schrieb:
> Hi Thomas.
>
> I implemented (and commited) a fix for problem #1 and invite you (and
> others)
> to comment. The algorithm is now as follows:
>
> A) first instruction of 'classic' asynchronous exception ('interrupt')
> sets 'lock' variable:
>
> async_vector_address:
>    stw r1, ppc_exc_lock_std at sdarel(r13)
>
>    increment _Thread_Dispatch_disable_level
>    dispatch 'C' - handler
>
>    decrement _Thread_Dispatch_disable_level
>
> B) a critical interrupt handler does the following when decrementing
>   the dispatch-disable level (translated into C code); the code
>   marked /****/ has been added:
>
>   if ( --_Thread_Dispatch_disable_level == 0 ) {
>
>      if (    ppc_exc_lock_std == 0 /* lower-priority lock variable not
> set */
> /*****/   &&  *CSRR0 != opcode_of( 'stw r1,
> ppc_exc_lock_std at sdarel(r13)' ) {
>          if ( thread_dispatch_necessary )
>             _Thread_Dispatch();
>      }
>   }
>
>   IMO this should catch the pathological case where a critical
>   interrupt happens just after a non-critical one has loaded
>   the PC with the 'async_vector_address' but before the 'stw r1, ...'
>   instruction had a chance to execute.
>   The critical handler finds 'ppc_exc_lock_std' is still zero
>   but it now also checks the opcode stored at the interrupted
>   PC address (found in the CSRR0 register). If that opcode
>   matches 'stw r1, ppc_exc_lock_std at sdarel(r13)' then the critical
>   handler 'knows' that a non-critical IRQ is already under way
>   and defers thread-dispatching. The opcode in question is
>   unique and not present anywhere else in the code; in particular,
>   it is impossible for the compiler to generate this very instruction
>   from C-code.
>

> Problem #2 is governed by the 'new-exception handling' API. (My
> 'middleware'
> does not try to change that API.) It seems to me that the routines
> declared in 'raw_exceptions.h' need a vector table in RAM.
>
> However, all normal prologues defined by the middleware (except for the
> 603 TGPR prologue) are only 16 bytes hence in principle you could
> have a reasonably small table in RAM (but unfortunately, the API forces
> you to have a copy attached to the configuration table).
>

> RFC
> -- Till
>

> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>> Hello Till,
>>
>> we are currently adapting RTEMS to a MPC55xx microcontroller with a
>> e200z6 CPU core. We are pleased to see, that you have significantly
>> cleaned up the PPC exception code and you also already have done lots
>> of stuff to support the e500 core, which is very similar to the e200.
>>
>> All in all I agree, that your modifications simplify the use of the
>> PPC vectoring scheme.
>>
>> But we have some topics that should be discussed.
>>
>> 1. Critical Interrupts
> [...]

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
Tel. : +49-89-18 90 80 79-2
Fax  : +49-89-18 90 80 79-9
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de