GSOC Replies

Wei Shen cquark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 02:02:35 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 3/25/08, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:

> If you implemented this as a special file system type, do you think it
> is feasible
> as a GSOC project to extra the common inode processing code into shared
> code?
> I don't know if this makes it a real VFS structure or just a shared set
> of methods
> that makes filesystem implementation easier.

If people of RTEMS trust me, I would like to make it a long term plan, but
at current stage, I feel I am not experienced enough to undertake that.

Redesign FS infrastructure for an OS is really a serious task, though in
RTEMS, IMFS and jnode provide a good start point - they in fact accomplish
lots of work the VFS layer does. Maybe, after sufficient work on FIFO, file
descriptor, and aio, I will be more comfident of trying.

Thanks,
Wei Shen