student for gsoc2008

Reng Zeng alan at fiucssa.org
Wed Mar 26 05:42:18 UTC 2008

Hi Joel, Chris,

I do not understand your "class" and data along with it below, Could you
please explain it a little more?

That is still TBD.  It could be a "class" indicator byte followed by an
class specific
event.  Something like:

+ class
+ class specific message indicator
+ size of data following
+ data

For the trace points to add, I understand as below:

1. Write code to generate the wrapped version for each function to trace,
such as
void *__wrap_symbol(arguments)
{
  void *p;
  void *__real_symbol(arguments);

  Event_ID eid = Get_Event_ID(symbol);

  if (TriggerSet(eid))
         pass all the arguments to the SOLE handler in capture engine.
         together with the data refered by arguments.

  p = __real_symbol(size);

  if (TriggerSet(eid))
      pass the return value to the SOLE handler in capture engine.
    together with the data refered by return value.

  return p;
}

2. Triggers are to be managed by the event ID.

3. I has no idea about the filter for these events. For existing task
related one, we could filter by priority, but how about the wrapped one?
Could you tell some example for me to consider?

Regarding to other parts of the project, I understand as below, please
comment.
1. Transmission of logged data to host

   - The first challenge of this part is to make the system and the log
      survive from high traffic.
      - The second challenge is to implement it in TCP while providing
      the flexibility for other transports in future.
      - The third challenge is to trade off minimizing the data to be
      sent across the network against the over-head to compress data.

2. Receipt of logged data on host

   - Use Python to write a CLI to receive data into a file.

3. Decoding of logged data on host

   - From the compressed data received, decode it for high-level
      application to display as tracing data.

4. GUI Timeline Visualization tool

   - Use GNUplot to integrate the decoded data into visualization format.
      What kind of visualization is expected?

Thanks,
Alan