debian package for RTEMS

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sun Mar 30 12:29:27 UTC 2008

Hi Bimal,

I think, I am the one to answer this - Please bare with me if I might be
missing some information, but I have been AFK most of the time last week
and have my rtems mail folder filled with dozens of unread mails ;)

First of all, thanks for wanting to take a stab on this.

So, let me ask a couple of questions wrt. proposal:

1. What do you want to package?
The GNU-toolchains (binutils, newlib, gcc, gdb) or RTEMS itself?

2. Which distributions do you want to address?
Like with rpm-based distros, there exists a plethora of Debian'ish
packaged distros, not only one.

3. Though I agree that deb packages would be convenient users of
Debian'ishly packaged distros, I question the technical need to do so,
because at least on original Debian distros it had been possible to use
"alien" to import rpms. Doesn't this apply anymore?

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 15:31 +0530, bimal varghese wrote:
> i am attaching my
> proposal for creating a debian package for RTEMS
> any suggestions for improvement and  correction of errors
> in the proposals are accepted

Comments interspersed:

> Title
> -----
>
>         Creating Debian package for  RTEMS
>

> Synopsis
> --------
>
>         I will build a debian package for RTEMS with all dependencies
> taken
> care of. I will also write shell/Perl scripts which makes it possible
> automate the package creation process.
Our build-machines all are Fedora-i386 and Fedora-x86_64-based.

Do you plan to add cross-distribution packaging (e.g. building Debian
packages on Fedora or Debian/i386 on Ubuntu/x86_64)?

> Project Schedule
> ----------------
> May 26,2008: Start of the project. Detailed study of Debian packagig
> mechanism, .deb files are started .
>
> June 10,2008: Detailed study of RTEMS working and preperation of
> necessary documents are done.
This time schedule looks pretty generous to me, but may-be I am too deep
into packaging - Anyway, it's OK for a student project.

> June 28,2008: Working of RTEMS updation is studied and the availiable
> system is  updated using shell scripting and the shell script is
> incoperated in the package.
I don't understand this point. Could you please elaborate?

> July 01,2008: Integretion of availiable packages, documents,man and
> info pages are done.Initial process for the preparation of RTEMS
> Debian package is started.
>From my experience on packaging, this will hardly work. I would expect
you having to "go public" much earlier.

Rationale: In almost all cases, I've encountered so far (work-intense
and time-consuming) part of writing an initial package in the end is
negligible. The real hard work starts once such package have been
released..

> July  28,2008: The complete integreted Debian package is generated and
> tested on various systems.
More details, please. What and which do you have in mind?

> August 09,2008:End of the project.

Regards,

	Ralf