how do I use shell.c?

Thu May 1 13:05:57 UTC 2008

Chris Johns wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, Ian,
>>
>> - We have an Sparc eval board that has 2 ports: 1 is debug port, 1 is
>> application port.
>>  From debug port, I load/run application. The output goes out to the
>> rs-232 application port.
>> So, am I supposed to specify this app port (/dev/console) as 'device' to
>> shell_init(...)?
>> When I tried that, I got the message:
>> "shell: unalbel to open stdin./dev/console:Too many open files in system"?
>>  -mike-
>>

> You need to increase the number of file ops in confdefs.h.
>
> The shell is documented in the CVS RTEMS. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/shell/index.html
>
> This relates to the code in CVS. Joel and I have been hacking on the shell lately.

I'm surprised with all the replies that no one has mentioned
that the fileio sample and the telnetd network-demo both
use the shell code.

Please submit corrections and improvements to the shell
code.   It is already in good shape and has a lot of functionality
with the capability to run simple script files even.  Chris has
promised to add some conditional logic to the shell and
has already added some command line editing.  It is a nice
addition and has some very nice ways to look into a running
system -- mount, format, cpuuse, rtmonuse, wkspace, mallocstats,
etc. :-D