GSOC:disable newlibc reentrancy

xu ray rayx.cn at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:17:35 UTC 2008

I do not think this project's objective is to separate&obsolete newlibc from
RTEMS. The objective is offer a way to configure RTEMS that newlibc can be
separated for some circumstance. (In fact, current RTEMS can not run on a
CPU with 48K_SRAM + 256K_FlashRom with minium configuration, however
something like threadx can be configured down to 2kb.)

It is true the biggest consumers of RTEMS are using SPARC, and got enough
SDRAM. There are lots of potential users using ARM and want a RTOS with
TCP/IP on a system with less than 100KB storage space.

2008/5/8 Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>:

> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 15:26 +0800, 阎淼 wrote:

> > > Why do you want to do this?
> >
> > That is one of the size reduction ideas of tiny rtems project.
>
> OK, in verbose: What you are doing is absurd. It means to cut-off rtems
> from newlib, turning all of newlib and the whole compiler unusable.
>
> Ralf

Thanks & Best Regards!

Ray, Xu