Cancel read on socket

Sergei Organov osv at javad.com
Mon May 26 14:24:30 UTC 2008

Leon Pollak <leonp at plris.com> writes:

> On Monday, 26 בMay 2008, Sergei Organov wrote:
>> shutdown()
> I studied the internet again.
> And again I am afraid that shutdown will not help - please, correct me if I am
> wrong:
> 1. shutdown seems not to cancel currently in progress "read" operation (which
> blocked the task now).

Well, I'm not sure about UDP sockets, but for TCP sockets it should cancel
read operation the same way as if remote end had closed connection, I
believe. Though the socket won't be useful for reading after that anyway.

Alternate approach to your problem could be to configure receive timeout
for the socket, like this:

  setsockopt(s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVTIMEO, &tv, len);

-- Sergei.