GSOC:disable newlibc reentrancy

Thu May 8 13:30:52 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 20:43 +0800, xu ray wrote:
>
>> libc_global_reent structure will take 1kb SRAM. This relic is too big
>> for a system with only a few k sram. Though the pointer to libc_reent
>> is used in thread dispatch, it is not a must for thread dispatch.
>>

> What you are doing is abusing the RTEMS infrastructure for something
> which isn't RTEMS, nor using the RTEMS toolchain.
>
> Your are converting RTEMS into a bare metal skeleton and abusing the
> RTEMS toolchains to build a bare-metal based minimal scheduler library.

More than anything else, it is treating RTEMS as a set of
pieces that can compose a variety of systems at application
configure time.  No special compiles, no differences in the
toolset.

And from a historical perspective, RTEMS was nothing but
a scheduler until about version 3.2.  In retrospect, we should
not have created the linkages between subsystems that made
so many things required when they really were not.

I do not want special tools or special builds of RTEMS -- just
a collection of small pieces that can be configured to match
a variety of application profiles.  This is similar to the UNIX
philosophy where there are small tools you can put together
to build complex things at the command line.