Watchdog device driver

Wed May 21 13:20:06 UTC 2008

Neil Mayes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was surprised to see we don't have a watchdog device driver as
> standard for RTEMS. For the implementations we are considering it will
> be nice to have a watchdog device driver for the platforms we are using
> (ERC32 & PowerPC). As an embedded OS I would have thought it could be a
> standard device? I am just wondering if anyone else has done this or
> thought about this issue?

I guess it is such a simple device that no one has proposed
anything like an API.

I would not be opposed to an API for a watchdog timer.  I
don't see much of an API though since there isn't that much
functionality.

+ enable with expiration
+ reset
+ disable
+ is enabled?

But a standard API, no matter how simple encourages portability.

--joel