Any Issues Preventing 4.9.1?

Wed Nov 19 14:42:11 UTC 2008

Michael South wrote:
> Getting really bad context switch times on pc386 when
> RTEMS_ENABLE_NANOSECOND_CPU_USAGE_STATISTICS is enabled. (Something
> like a factor of ten on one of my desktops). I posted a discussion note
> on the 4.9.0 release Wiki page.

I just saw the talk page this morning.   Can you try a few
things and let's see where that takes us.

+ Send me your test program so I can check it on other
    targets.
+ Temporarily change bsp_clock_nanoseconds_since_last_tick()
   in /c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/clock/ckinit.c to return 0 and
   not touch the hardware.  Rerun and report results.
+ If above shows problem, provide alternative code that uses
    the method you mention in the Wiki Talk page.
+ If we can't dynamically figure out if the alternative method
   works, then we can make it a BSP configure time option
   like using COM1 as console (see configure.ac in the pc386
   directory).  If you can provide the code, I can fix the configure.ac
   if this turns out to be needed.

I have had concerns that the timespec math is expensive but
never thought that slow clock hardware would be an issue.