How to add CPU_MODEL

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 15 20:33:39 UTC 2008

Just my 2-cents:

PPC has been plagued with a jungle of

#ifdef __some_ppc_flavor__

which is a nightmare to maintain.

Please consider:

- do not use / implement exotic features that provide small gain
  (especially such features that are likely to disappear in future
  versions of the CPU)
- use run-time detection as much as possible
- keep CPU-specifica in a dedicated library rather than
  sprinkling #ifdefs all over the code-base.
- do NOT advocate creation of a new gcc multilib if
  this only for the purpose of getting a -D_my_cpu_flavor
  symbol defined. gcc multilibs should ONLY be used
  for
    - differences in API
    - difference in instruction set (includes co-processors)
    - *NOTHING* that does not affect gcc's code generation
      in a binary-incompatible way  justifies a multilib.
      E.g., if you do magic using assembly
      code then you normally don't need special gcc flags.
      Gcc does not know what 'special' instructions you use
      from assembly code.

- keep cpu-flavor specific stuff which cannot be switched
  at run-time and where you must use conditionally compiled code
  out of cpukit. You can then -D_my_cpu_flavor in the BSP's
  'custom' Makefile snippet.

T.