network based console?

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Sep 13 16:44:21 UTC 2008

Gene Smith wrote:
> In my application I can just use printf, no problem. But what happens if
> you do call printk and there is no serial port enabled? I'm not sure on
> that.

IIRC printk calls a BSP-supplied function via the pointer

'extern void (*BSP_output_char)(char c);'

to print characters.

The BSP would output them via the serial port in polled mode.

Your BSP would have to either do nothing or print the characters
to a memory buffer.
> Again, all I am wanting is a remote terminal (made by I assume telneting
> to rtems) that takes the stdout, in, and err from just my application
> (like gtkterm does now). I don't need it to accept standard shell
> commands like ls or whatever other commands the "rtems shell" can accept.
>
> I thought maybe I can just enable the rtems telnetd and a pty and this
> will occur if serial console is disabled. However, it sound like it is a
>   lot harder after reading Till's comments.

If you want to redirect just one tasks' stdio over a socket then
things become much simpler. I was assuming you wanted to
redirect the 'global console' which is shared by all threads.

Look into the telnet stuff. The 'shell' program spawned by
the telnet daemon (or executed by the telnet daemon -- IIRC
that is also an option) is configurable. You can wrap your
application and execute it from the telnetd daemon.

The only caveat may be what happens if the remote terminal
closes the session and the socket is shut down -- you'd have
to be prepared for that. IIRC I had added some hacks to
the pty driver to prevent it from deleting the running task
when the connection was closed.

HTH
-Till