Build Problem under Cygwin

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:30:17 UTC 2008

I'm trying to build the 4.9.0 toolset under Cygwin, and I'm not quite
getting there.  I have gotten binutils and gcc/newlib built, but I can't
configure autoconf-2.62.  Here is the output:

    $ ../autoconf-2.62/configure --prefix=/usr/rtems/4.9/bin
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether /bin/sh -n is known to work... yes
    checking for expr... /usr/bin/expr
    checking for GNU M4 that supports accurate traces... /usr/bin/m4
    checking how m4 supports trace files... --debugfile
    checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
    checking for emacs... no
    checking for xemacs... no
    checking for emacs... no
    checking where .elc files should go... ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp
    checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
    checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
    checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating tests/Makefile
    gawk: ./confd0FP0v/subs.awk:1: BEGIN {\r
    gawk: ./confd0FP0v/subs.awk:1:        ^ backslash not last character
    on line
    config.status: error: could not create tests/Makefile

But wait, there's more!  I already have autoconf-2.61 installed, so I
decided to hope that could work, and attempted to build RTEMS itself.  I
get the same failure - here is the relavent output:

    <snip>
    checking for bash... /usr/bin/bash
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating Makefile
    gawk: ./confUm8h5X/subs.awk:1: BEGIN {\r
    gawk: ./confUm8h5X/subs.awk:1:        ^ backslash not last character
    on line
    config.status: error: could not create Makefile
    configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems/tools/build/configure'
    failed for tools/build

Notice the similarity?  I couldn't find anything with Google, primarily
because I'm not sure what to specify to get good results - either no
hits or way too many.  I'm hoping someone can help here...

Thanks,
-Bob