Really weird configure file?

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 26 19:35:12 UTC 2008

Okay, not to belabor this, but I've discovered the source of my earlier
problem - the configure files in the 4.9.0 tarball seem to have a single
carriage return character in them.  For example, in
/c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/gen5200, look at lines 5529 and 5530, and
you'll see this text:

    ac_cr='
    '
(Ignore the indents, which are merely for illustrative purposes).  If
you look at them in a hex editor, starting at (or about) offset 0x265f1,
you will see these hex bytes:

  61 63 5F 63 72 3D 27 0D 27 0A

In other words, a carriage return is inserted immediately between the
two apostrophe characters.

I don't know if this is important, or intentional, or whatever, and I
certainly don't understand the significance, but it kills the build
under Cygwin.  Doing a simple "dos2unix --d2u configure" allows the
configuration to succeed - of course, you need to do this on all the
configure scripts.

Assuming the CR is not intentional, I would hope this can be fixed in
future tarballs...

Thanks,
-Bob