kbhit() function (uses termios)

Mon Sep 8 14:25:46 UTC 2008

Gene Smith wrote:
> The code I am trying to port to rtems uses kbhit() function (you hit a
> key with no echo and no ENTER/RETURN) to cause an action based on the
> key pressed. Although I am not a big fan of having important things
> happen based on an unconfirmed key press, it does not seem to work for
> me in rtems. kbhit always returns 0 even after I press a key.
>
> The 3rd party code is copied from here:
> http://www.flipcode.com/archives/_kbhit_for_Linux.shtml
> but with the addition of a flag to turn off echo:
> term.c_lflag &= ~ECHO;
>
> Is there a reason this might not work in rtems?  It works ok in linux.

The code uses select on a serial port and select only
works on sockets in RTEMS.  This version uses standard
termios functionality to get to a non-blocking read.

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/archive/index.php/t-63166.html

May not be a perfect fit since it is just an example but it
uses things that work under RTEMS.