General PTY and CONSOLE question

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sun Sep 21 19:15:35 UTC 2008

Joel Sherrill wrote, On 09/20/2008 05:27 PM:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>> Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> Depends on the RTEMS version.  This is the
>>> progression right:
>>>
>>> + in 4.6 /dev/console was required and if open() on it
>>>     failed, it was a fatal error.
>>> + in 4.7.1, the open could fail without causing a fatal error.
>>>    This made the console optional but open() always got
>>>    pulled in.
>>> + In 4.8, this routine was refactored so there could be
>>>    a "no-console.c"  optional stub to avoid open() being
>>>    referenced.
>>>
>> I'm still at 4.8 right now but having a problem when I don't include
>> CONSOLE_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY in my Device_drivers[] array. I don't see
>> open() being called since dbgu_init() is not called (and dbgu_init() is
>> called when CONSOLE_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY present). However, I can see
>> RTEMS detect a fatal error of some sort and shut down. Also, can't
>> telnet to RTEMS. Only when I include the CONSOLE... driver entry does
>> RTEMS keep running and I can telnet in.
>>
>> My BSP (modified csb337) still includes the uart code (in dbgu.c,
>> customized for my uart) but it is basically a NOP right now. The
>> dbgu_init() function does nothing to the h/w. The dbgu_write() just
>> returns 1 (indicating the char was sent) while dbgu_read() just returns
>> -1 (indicating that nothing received). Those are the only functions that
>> touch the uart so print[fk] must call them.
>>

> Can you dump the print[fk] output into a ring buffer so we
> can look at it?

What I did was move the dbgu_init() uart setup actions to dbgu_write()
and do this once on only the first printk char (using a flag "uart_up"
to enforce a one-shot uart init). This allow the uart to still be
initialize even when "CONSOLE_DRIVE_TABLE_ENTRY" is not in the
Device_drivers[] array. So with this I can still see the printk messages
in gtkterm. I also changed all printf's in my app to printk's.

What I am seeing is that it gets past all the initializations including
  networking, telnetd and my primary app init but fails when freeing
memory like this:

Program heap: free of bad pointer 2031D150 -- range 202CA800 - 21000000
EXECUTIVE SHUTDOWN! Any key to reboot...

This printk occurs at malloc.c:495 when freeing memory. If I set a bp at
this line 495 and run again, I see this in gdb:

(arm-gdb) b malloc.c:495
Breakpoint 1 at 0x201b5ef8: file
../../../../../../rtems-4.8.0/c/src/../../cpukit/libcsupport/src/malloc.c,
line 495.
(arm-gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 1, free (ptr=
During symbol reading, incomplete CFI data; unspecified registers (e.g.,
r0) at 0x201b5e7c.
0x0) at
../../../../../../rtems-4.8.0/c/src/../../cpukit/libcsupport/src/malloc.c:495
495         printk( "Program heap: free of bad pointer %p -- range %p -
%p \n",
Current language:  auto; currently c
(arm-gdb) bt
#0  free (ptr=0x2031d150) at
../../../../../../rtems-4.8.0/c/src/../../cpukit/libcsupport/src/malloc.c:495
#1  0x201cd798 in rtems_bsdnet_free (addr=0x2031d150, type=3) at
../../../../../../rtems-4.8.0/c/src/../../cpukit/libnetworking/rtems/rtems_glue.c:137
#2  0x201e5cac in sofree (so=0x201ce8b8) at
../../../../../../rtems-4.8.0/c/src/../../cpukit/libnetworking/kern/uipc_socket.c:156
#3  0x02000000 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

(arm-gdb)

So it appears that not having a CONSOLE driver causes a problem in the
networking code. The call to function in uipc_socket.c is sofree() which
calls the FREE macro. Again, if I keep the CONSOLE driver in the driver
array, I have no problems. (Note: my JTAG debugger is a bit flaky, so
the indication above of a corrupt stack may or may not be valid.)

Also, just realized that the printk at the bp is not a fatal error in
itself, so I stepped on from there with debugger. What I see is that the
stack from item #3 up is actually:

#3 soclose
#4 rtems_bsdnet_close
#5 close
#6 rtems_task_telnetd

For some reason, rtems_task_telnetd seems to be coming out of its
endless loop and calling close(). When it terminates the fatal error is
flagged (after going into rtems_task_delete). I have no idea why telnetd
is terminating or is terminated. I have not at this time tried to make a
telnet connection.