Build Problem under Cygwin

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 26 15:22:19 UTC 2008

Okay, a hunch occurred to me after mailing this, so I'd like to ask a
different. question: how could I have gotten DOS end of lines into the
autoconf source?

Backing up a bit, I had used "tar xjf ../archive/autoconf-2.62.tar.bz2"
to unpack autoconf, like I've done many times before, so I certainly
assumed then EOL chars in text files would not be altered. (Note: Cygwin
has been installed to use Unix EOL - always has been on my machine).
However, something smelled fishy with the error, so in desperation, I
decided to run dos2unix on the autoconf-2.62 source tree, and lo and
behold, I was able to successfully configure, build, and install autoconf!

The RTEMS source tree is different, however. I again used tar, but this
time on a Linux machine, to unpack 4.9.0 and put it under revision
control (vendor branch under Subversion). Later, I checked it into my
Cygwin host and am attempting to build that. I'll have to figure out
where the DOS EOLs came from there...

So my questions now are these:

1. Any idea how I could have gotten DOS EOL chars into the autoconf
source tree?
2. Any idea how to test a tree for DOS EOL chars?

Thanks,
-Bob